Leela Samson Wiki Biography: Leela Samson is an Indian Bharatanatyam Dancer, Instructor and a Choreographer who was born in Kunnoor, Nilgiris Distrist in Tamil Nadu, India.
Leela Samson is also a Writer and an Actress who made her acting debut in 2015 with the Tamil film, OK Kanmani. She again portrayed her role in this film’s Hindi remake, OK Jaanu (2017). She also appeared in Adithya Varma (2019). Samson has even received the Padma Shri Award in 1990 and also the Sanskriti, Nritya Choodamani and Kalaimamani Awards in 2005 given by Government of Tamil Nadu. She was also awarded with the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award (1999–2000) for contributions to Bharatanatyam.
Samson is not very active on social media. She has around 2K followers on Instagram and besides Instagram she is not active on any other social media platforms.
Also Read:- Muskaan Khubchandani Wiki Biography
|Real Name||Leela Samson|
|Date Of Birth||May 6, 1951|
|Birth Place||Kunnoor, Nilgiris, Tamilnadu, India|
|Profession||Actress, Choreographer and Dancer|
Leela Samson Age, Height, Weight
Samson’s age is 69 years. Her height is 5 feet 6 inches and her weight is 69 kgs. Her eyes and hair colours are Brown and black respectively.
Leela Samson Family
Samson was born on May 6, 1951 in Kunnoor, Nilgiris District in Tamil Nadu, India. Her father’s name is Benjamin Abraham Samson who joined the Royal Indian Navy in 1939 as a lieutenant. He was also the commandant of the National Defence Academy in Khadakvasla between 1959 and 1962. Her mother’s name is Laila Samson. Also, her paternal aunt Annie was the principal of Anjum-e-Islam Muslim school for girls at Mumbai for 31 years.
Married Life & Boyfriend
Leela is Unmarried and said that she didn’t marry because she never met a man with similar interests. She currently lives with her mother on the Kalakshetra campus.
Some Interesting Facts About Leela Samson
- Leela’s father sent her to Kalakshetra for learning Indian classical dance and music under the founder, Rukmini Devi Arundale and also she studied in the Besant Theosophical High School at the same time.
- She graduated with B.A. Degree from Sophia College for Women and in this college, she got inspiration to make a career in Bharatnatyam.
- Samson continued to learn Bharatanatyam at Kalakshetra even after graduating.
- Samson also taught Bharatanatyam Dance at 2 Dance institutes in Delhi mainly Shriram Bharatiya Kala Kendra and Gandharva Mahavidyalaya.
- After that Leela even taught Bharatanatyam Dance at the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden in Central London and also at the annual Milapfest in Manchester.
- Then in April 2005, she was appointed as the director of Kalakshetra by the Congress-led United Progressive Alliance but resigned as a director in 2013.
- She was also appointed as the chairperson of the Sangeet Natak Akademi in August 2010 and worked there since 2014.
- She also served as the chairperson of the Central Board of Film Certification (CBFC) in April 2011 and resigned in 2015.
- Over the years Leela has continuously performed across various places in India and also in abroad including Europe, Africa and America.
- Samson has even taught Bharatnatyam to Congress president Sonia Gandhi’s daughter Priyanka Vadra.
- In the year 1995, she formed Spanda. It was a dance group to review the traditional vocabulary of Bharatanatyam.
- Even two documentary films have also been made on her works with the name Sanchari and The Flowering Tree.
- She has also authored a biography of Rukmini Devi Arundale.
Shabana Azmi Wiki Biography, Age, Family, Husband, Career & more
- Leela’s favourite actors are Amitabh Bachchan and Dev Anand.
- Her favourite actress is Madhubala.
- She loves Dancing and Singing.
Leela Samson’s Net Worth
Leela Samson has a net worth of over $1 Million USD and her income mainly comes from her Acting and Teaching.
Samson is very fond of Acting and Dancing and she also likes Singing lot. She loves to teach students about Dance.