MS Dhoni Wiki Biography: Mahendra Singh Dhoni commonly known as MS Dhoni is an Indian Cricketer who was born in Ranchi City of Jharkhand, India.
Dhoni started playing cricket at a very young age and used to play School cricket and club cricket until 1998 when he was 17 years old. Then he was selected for Bihar Ranji Team and made his first-class debut for the Bihar team in the 1999-2000 Ranji Trophy Season. He made a half-century in his debut Ranji Trophy Match. Dhoni made his National debut for India in ODIs in 2004 against Bangladesh.
MS Dhoni started playing IPL for Chennai Superkings in the inaugural season in 2008 and was signed by CSK for a sum of US $1.5 Million and subsequently became the most expensive player in IPL 2008. Later under Dhoni’s Captaincy, Chennai won the IPL Trophy in 2010, and later in the next season, he made his team IPL champions for the second time in 2011 too. Under Dhoni’s Captaincy, Chennai also won the 2018 IPL Trophy.
Also Read:- Virat Kohli Wiki Biography
|Full Name||Mahendra Singh Dhoni|
|Nick Name||MS Dhoni, Mahi|
|Date Of Birth||July 7, 1981|
|Birth Place||Ranchi, Jharkhand, India|
|Batting||Right Hand Batsman|
|Bowling||Right Hand Bowler|
- MS Dhoni used to play School cricket and Club cricket in his early cricket days.
- For 1998-99 Domestic cricket season he was selected in Bihar’s Under-19 team and a year later Dhoni made his First-class debut in 1999-2000 Ranji Trophy Season.
- In his Ranji debut match he made half century against Assam Ranji Team by scoring 68 not out in second inning.
- In the Ranji Season 2000-01, Dhoni scored his maiden first class century against Bengal.
- Seeing his good form in Domestic cricket he was selected in India-A team to tour Zimbabwe. Later in a Tri-Nation tournament which included teams like Kenya, India-A and Pakistan-A, he showed good form and got attention from senior players in National Team.
- Then in the year 2004, Dhoni got his first break in Indian National Team and when he was selected in Indian Squad for a series against Bangladesh.
- He didn’t have a good start to his ODI career because he got run-out for a duck in his first ODI match but still he was picked for series against Pakistan.
- This time he impressed everyone with his batting skills and also showed his power hitting capabilities in that series by scoring a 148 of 123 deliveries in second match of series against Pakistan.
- Then in 2005, Dhoni was promoted to top of the batting order to bat at number three in a match against Sri Lanka and then he made 183 not out of 145 balls.
- He made his Test debut on 2nd December 2005 against Sri Lanka.
- Due to his good form and consistent run scoring ability, Dhoni reached the top spot in ICC ODI Rankings by surpassing Ricky Pointing on 20th April 2006. Subsequently, Dhoni became the fastest player to reach at number 1 position in ODI Rankings. He reached to the top ranking in only 42 innings.
- He made is T20 debut on 1st December 2006 against South Africa.
- In 2007 ICC Cricket World Cup, India were out of the tournament in first round after getting defeated by Sri Lanka and Bangladesh. Dhoni scored 0 in both these matches due to which protesters gathered around his house because of this defeat.
- Then in 2007 Dhoni was made the captain of Indian team before ICC World Twenty20. Dhoni led his team to the victory. Then he was also made the captain of ODI team and later in 2008 he was named as the full time captain of Test team also.
- Under his Captaincy India captured the top spot in ICC Test Rankings in 2009.
- Dhoni also led Indian team to a remarkable victory in 2011 ICC World Cup and helped India to clinch the World cup after 28 years. Also, 2 years later in 2013, Dhoni led India to win the ICC Championship Trophy.
- After winning 2013 ICC Championship Trophy, Dhoni became the first captain who has won all major three ICC trophies.
- Dhoni took retirement from test cricket in 2014 and played his last test match against Australia on 26th December 2014.
- He also stepped down from his Captaincy in limited over cricket in January 2017.
- Dhoni played his last international match in 2019 ICC Cricket World Cup where India lost to New Zealand in Semi Finals.
- Then after a year in 2020, Dhoni took retirement from all forms of international cricket and announced his retirement on 15th August 2020 by posting a video on Instagram.
- MS Dhoni is playing in the IPL since 2008. He was bought by Chennai Superkings for US $1.5 Million in the inaugural season of IPL.
- He made his team champions three times in the IPL. Under his Captaincy CSK won 2 back to back IPL Trophy in 2010 and 2011. Also, after 7 years of gap he again led his team to win IPL Tournament and winning the IPL tournament for the 3rd time in 2018.
- CSK team was suspended for 2 years in 2016 and 2017. Due to the suspension of CSK team, Dhoni was bought by Rising Pune Supergiants for a sum of US $1.9 Million in 2016 and named him as captain.
- Then in 2017, RPS retained Dhoni but his Captaincy was transferred to Steve Smith.
- Ban on CSK was lifted in 2018 and he was again the captain of his team. Dhoni led his team to another title victory.
- In 2019 IPL season CSK lost to Mumbai Indians in Finals.
MS Dhoni Age, Height, Weight
MS Dhoni’s age is 40 years. His height is 5 feet 9 inches and his weight is 75 kgs. His eyes and hairs colors are Drak Brown and Black respectively.
|Height||In feet- 5 feet 7 inch|
In centimeter- 175.26
|Weight||In kilogram- 72 kg|
In Pound- 158.73 lbs
|Age in 2020||40 Years|
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Shoe Size||9 UK|
MS Dhoni’s Family
MS Dhoni was born on July 7, 1981, in Ranchi City of Jharkhand, India. His father’s name is Pan Singh used to work in a Junior Management Position in MECON. His mother’s Name is Devki Singh. He also has 2 elder siblings, a brother named Narendra Singh Dhoni and a Sister named Jayanti Gupta.
MS Dhoni is Married. He is married to Sakshi Singh Rawat. The couple got married on 4th July 2010. Before Sakshi, Dhoni was having affair with Priyanka Jha who died in 2002.
- MS Dhoni’s favourite Batsman are Sachin Tendulkar and Adam Gilchrist.
- Dhoni’s favourite bowlers are Brett Lee and Glenn McGrath.
- Dhoni’s favourite actors are Amitabh Bacchan and John Abraham.
- He loves playing at Lord’s Cricket Ground in London and Melbourne Cricket Ground in Melbourne, Australia.
- His favourite destination is Goa.
- His favourite singer is Kishore Kumar.
MS Dhoni’s Net Worth
|Net Worth||Approx $111 Million|
|Earnings in 2020||Not Known|
|Income Source||Cricket and Brand Endorsements|
|Annual Salary||$1.8 Million|
|Cars||Hummer H2, Land Rover Freelander, Porsche 911, and Ferrari 599|
|Houses||Harmu Housing Colony, Ranchi, Jharkhand, India|
|Does Dhoni consume Alcohol?||Yes|
|Does Dhoni smoke Cigarettes?||No|
|Can MS Swim?||Yes|
|Is MS a Yoga Practitioner?||No|
|Is Dhoni a Jogger?||Yes|
|Hobbies||Biking and Playing Games|
|Food||Chicken Butter Masala|
MS Dhoni:- Life At A Glance
FINISHER WHO DIDN’T FINISH THAT DAY
MS DHONI is regarded as one of the greatest wicket-keeper and finishers who has graced those 22 yards.
His journey from a railway ticket collector to the greatest brain on the cricket field was so inspiring that it even inspired a movie director to make a movie out of this journey.
His career can be described in 5 phases:
- Dhoni was born in Ranchi, Jharkhand. His father Pan Singh used to work in Metallurgical & Engineering Consultants (India) Limited. Dhoni has a sister Jayanti Gupta and a brother Narendra Singh Dhoni. In his school days Dhoni was a goalkeeper for his football team and was sent to play cricket for a local cricket club by his football coach due to absence of a wicketkeeper in that team. That’s how his journey at club cricket started and after a satisfactory season he was picked for the 1997/98 Vinoo Mankad Trophy.
- At the age of 18, Dhoni made his Ranji Trophy debut for Bihar in the 1999–2000 season. Dhoni was a Travelling Ticket Examiner (TTE) at Kharagpur railway station from 2001-2003, under South Eastern Railway. He started his stint with Jharkhand team and started gaining recognition for his lower-order contribution as well as hard-hitting batting style. when Prakash Poddar (former Bengal captain) saw Dhoni play for Jharkhand at a match in Jamshedpur in 2003, he sent a report to the National Cricket Academy.
- With Dhoni making a mark in the India A squad, he was picked in the ODI squad for the Bangladesh tour in 2004/05 but got run out for 0 on debut and he was below average in that series but Dhoni was picked for the Pakistan ODI series. In his fifth ODI, scored 148 against Pakistan in Visakhapatnam off only 123 deliveries. In his next series he played against Sri Lanka in Jaipur, he scored an unbeaten 183 off 145 balls which is the highest score for an Indian wicketkeeper in ODI. He became the fastest batsmen to reach no 1 ranking in ICC batsman ranking (just 42 innings). India unexpectedly crashed out of the World Cup 2007, West Indies after losses to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka in the group stage in both matches Dhoni performed poorly along with whole team and his house was vandalized by some political groups. He was also elected as the captain of the Indian squad for the World Twenty20, South Africa in September 2007 and this was the first tournament which India won under his captaincy.
- Dhoni took his only wicket in international cricket on 30 September 2009 off Travis Dowlin of the West Indies during a match in the 2009 ICC Champions Trophy. ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 was the biggest achievement India reached under Dhoni’s captaincy, he played a match winning 97* in the finals against Sri Lanka and finished the match with a monstrous six. He continued his winning run by winning the 2013 ICC Champions Trophy against England in a rain shortened 20 over per side game, Dhoni became the first and the only captain in international cricket to claim all ICC trophies (record stand till date).
- During the 2015 Cricket World Cup, Dhoni became the first Indian captain to win all group stage matches. India lost to Australia (won that WC) in semi-finals. Dhoni stepped down as captain of India and handed over to Virat Kohli in the limited over formats in January 2017. After some good performances in internationals he was roped in for world cup 2019 England and Wales, as an experienced campaigner. He got run out by Martin Guptill because of a direct throw in semi-final match against New Zealand and with that throw Indian chances of winning that World Cup were also brought to rest. Afterwards this match, Dhoni never made himself available for matches and announced his retirement from international cricket by posting a video on social media which was a collage of his international cricketing moments with the song of “main pal do pal ka Shayar hun”(translates to ” I am a poet of few moments”) in background. Currently, he just plays in IPL for “Chennai super kings”.
QUICK FACTS ON MS DHONI
- Dhoni has a collection of bikes amounting to crores of rupees.
- He is an owner of a racing team Mahi Racing team; the group is the country’s first World Superbike team.
- Dhoni became the second cricket player after Kapil Dev to earn the honorary title of the Indian territorial army.
- After retirement he has started farming of veggies.